Smoked ham is a scrumptious and versatile dish that’s good for any vacation meal or fancy dinner. This smoked ham recipe is brined in a single day, dry-rubbed, and smoked for two hours.
Smoked Ham = Finest Vacation Meal
Home made smoked ham is scrumptious, flavorful, and juicy. It’s actually the most effective dish to share on any special day or vacation corresponding to Easter.
On this publish, we’ll talk about all issues smoked ham corresponding to what reduce of pork to purchase, learn how to brine a ham, learn how to taste a ham, and learn how to completely smoke a ham.
We promise that should you discover ways to smoke your personal ham, you’ll really feel achieved and proud with each chunk.
why you’ll love this ham
- It’s juicy and so flavorful.
- This ham is nice for dinner and as leftovers.
- You get scrumptious ham with out the preservatives.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser.
What’s Smoked Ham?
Smoked ham is pork (ham) that has been cooked in a smoker. The smoker offers the ham a smoky taste. Smoking the ham enhances the flavour of the scrumptious dry rub that we use.
Take a look at all of our favourite smoker merchandise, together with what smoker we use within the Match Foodie kitchen for testing recipes!
What reduce of meat do I take advantage of for selfmade smoked ham?
This looks like a easy query, however it’s laborious to search out uncooked ham lately. The reduce of pork that you simply use for a standard ham is “the ham.” The ham is a reduce of meat that comes from the butt of a pig.
Boneless vs. bone-in ham
Each a bone-in and boneless ham will work for this smoked ham recipe. A boneless ham will take much less time to cook dinner. This recipe was examined with boneless ham.
A boneless ham normally weighs between 7-9 kilos whereas a bone-in ham could be anyplace from 12-14 kilos.
The place can I purchase a uncooked ham?
Uncooked cuts of ham could be laborious to search out when it’s not the vacation season. Your greatest guess is to ask your native butcher if they’ve ham or can reduce apart the ham on the day they butcher the pig.
The right way to Smoke a Ham (at a look)
Shortly discover ways to smoke a ham with this tutorial. Make certain to scroll all the best way right down to the recipe card to get the total ingredient record and written recipe.
- Brine the ham. End up a big bucket that may match within the fridge or in a cooler. we used a 20-gallon bucket. Simply be certain the brine covers the entire ham. Refrigerate the ham in a single day or for twenty-four hours for an additional juicy ham.
- Dry rub the ham. Take away the ham from the brine and pat it dry. Rub the ham with the dry rub. The dry rub will create a scrumptious taste crust on the ham.
- Make the basting liquid. Soften the butter over medium/excessive warmth in a small saucepan. Add the onion and salt to the butter and saute for 10 minutes over medium warmth. Add the garlic and honey and saute for an extra minute. Set the basting liquid apart.
- Smoke the ham. Smoke the ham for 2-3 hours at 300ºF, basting each half-hour to maintain the ham moist.
- Let the ham relaxation. When the ham reaches about 140ºF take away it from the smoker and let it relaxation for half-hour
- Slice and luxuriate in. Slice the ham and luxuriate in instantly or eat it all through the week.
How lengthy to smoke a ham?
A 7-8 lb . ham will take round 2-3 hours on the smoker at 300ºF. The size of smoking time with fluctuate relying on should you use a bone-in ham or boneless ham in addition to the dimensions of the ham you utilize. Whatever the dimension of the ham, the inner temperature needs to be between 140º-145ºF.
We swear by utilizing a meat thermometer when cooking any reduce of meat. The Thermapen is our go-to meat thermometer that works each time.
What’s the distinction between curing and brining a ham?
Brining and curing are related strategies which are used to maintain the meat juicy and scrumptious.
- Curing normally takes longer and is supposed to protect the meat whereas additionally going it taste. Curing is mostly a dry salt rub relatively than moist.
- Brining is normally moist. The concept is to infuse the proteins of the meat with salt by soaking the meat in a really salty water tub. You’ll be able to brine a ham for as much as 3 days.
For this smoked ham recipe, we brine the ham in a single day in order that the ham doesn’t dry out whereas smoking.
Frequent Questions About Smoking Ham
Sure, you may smoke store-bought ham whether it is cured and never smoked already. We propose smoking a store-bought cured ham for 45 minutes to 1 hour to provide the ham the smoky taste.
Ham will keep good for as much as 7 days within the fridge whether it is saved in an air-tight container.
This recipe has been examined with pork shoulder and picnic ham. Each had been scrumptious. The smoke time will fluctuate based mostly on how giant the reduce of meat is. Simply remember to test the inner temperature of the meat periodically.
We use the Traeger Signature pellets, however you should use any pellet your coronary heart wishes.
Fully your vacation meal with any of those sides:
What to do with Leftover Ham
Leftover ham is a superb addition to so many different recipes. Take a look at the recipes under if in case you have leftover ham!
Let the ham cool utterly and retailer it in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 7 days.
You probably have an extra of ham, retailer it within the freezer for as much as 3 months so as to add to soups, burritos, or breakfast scrambles.
Images: images taken on this publish are by Erin from The Wood Skillet.
Leave a Reply