You’ll be able to’t ignore cauliflower. Critically!
Moreover being a tasty and scrumptious vegetable, cauliflower is wealthy in a lot of methods and could be very useful for general well being.
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable. It’s a member of the mustard household (Brassicaceae), alongside its well-known counterparts, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale and radishes.
The previous household identify Cruciferae is derived from “crucifer” or cross, in reference to the cross shaped by the 4 petals. The household identify Brassicaceae is derived from the kind genus Brassica.
The phrase “cauliflower” stems from Latin, which means “flowers of cabbage” and this low-growing plant does look much like cabbage. Cauliflowers kind a compacted head of undeveloped white flower buds referred to as the “curd”.
The principal Brassica vegetable species is B. oleracea which incorporates completely different headed and non-headed cabbages. The cultivars of B. oleracea are grouped, primarily based on morphology and developmental varieties, into seven main cultivar teams. They might be used contemporary as a salad, contemporary or dried as a spice, cooked, fried, baked, or fermented.
Completely different Brassicaceae species, along with their culinary use, have been extensively utilized in conventional medication from historic occasions to the current day.
6 key attributes of cauliflower:
- It’s an excellent supply of your B nutritional vitamins together with B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine) and B9 (folic acid).
- It incorporates omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin Okay – each necessary for good coronary heart, blood and bone well being.
- It’s also a very good supply of the minerals – phosphorus and potassium – each important for the correct functioning of the physique.
- It’s a excellent supply of vitamin C and manganese, that are each highly effective antioxidants. A single cup serving of cauliflower has no less than 73% of the advisable every day quantity of vitamin C, which helps arrest irritation. Weight problems, smoking, extreme alcohol consumption, and sedentary life are all related to irritation.
- The opposite antioxidants present in cauliflower embrace beta-cryptoxanthin, quercetin, rutin, kaempferol, cinnamic acid, caffeic acid, and ferulic acid. Could shield your cells in opposition to free radicals, which can play a task in coronary heart illness, most cancers and different illnesses.
- Fibre wealthy. A medium cauliflower head incorporates approx 12 grams of fibre and helps digestive well being, promotes bowel regularity, and feeds useful micro organism within the intestine tied to anti-inflammation, immunity, and temper.
It’s fairly apparent why you’ll be able to’t ignore cauliflower – it ought to be a staple ingredient in your weekly store. Take a look at a few of our recipes beneath – you’ll be able to see how versatile a vegegetable cauliflower is.